• Text size
  • A
  • A
  • A
Your spotlight on local services

Making Complaints: some guidelines and information

 Click HERE for complaint guidance for Deaf people 


Complaining can make things better!

You are entitled to expect good quality health and social care services, and when this does not happen, you have a right to complain. When doing so, here are some tips...

What is your complaint about?

  • Work out what you want to say and be clear about what happened, who was involved, whenwherewhy you weren’t happy.

Decide what you want to achieve.

  • Be prepared to tell the service what you would like them to do to put things right.

Complain as soon as you can.

  • If you can speak to the people involved first, they may be able to sort out your problem quickly.

Contact the service you want to complain about.

  • Contacting the service directly will make them aware of the complaint.

Ask about the service’s complaints procedure.

  • You may need to complain verbally or in writing. Ask if there is a form to fill in and when you can expect to hear back from them.

Ask for help.

  • If you struggle with reading or writing, Complaints advocacy services can help.

Be clear.

  • Keep your complaint clear and short so your main points stand out.

Include your address and a reference number if you have one.

  • Also include the date and names (of people and of services) of anything that happened which is important to your complaint. 

Write down people’s names and positions.

  • Also keep copies of any letters or emails you get, as you may need to refer to them in the future.   


Who do I Complain to?

Contact details of complaints departments

GP’s, Dentists, Pharmacists, Optometrists

  • Please contact the practice directly in the first instance. If you are unable to resolve the issue, then contact NHS England on 0300 311 22 33 or england.contactus@nhs.net

Whipps Cross Hospital

  • Barts Health Patient Advice & Liaison Service (PALS) offers free confidential help and advice and aims to assist with support and information about your care and provide information on NHS services, listen to your concerns, suggestions or queries and help sort out problems quickly on your behalf. 020 3594 2040 or pals@bartshealth.nhs.uk

Community Health and Mental Health Services

  • North East London NHS Foundation Trust (NELFT) provides mental health and community health services for people living in Waltham Forest, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham and havering. To complain, contact 0300 555 1200 or nelftcomplaints@nhs.net

Adult Social Care

  • Waltham Forest Council provides both adults and children’s social care services and where applicable fund home care agency or a private residential care homes for residents. To complain, contact 020 8496 3000 or adultservicescomplaints@walthamforest.gov.uk 

Help with complaining…

  • Citizens Advice is an independent complaints advocacy service—a free confidential service supporting people making, or thinking about making, a complaints, about their NHS care or treatment in Waltham Forest. Contact 030 0330 1175 

For further information…

  • This guide was produced by Healthwatch Waltham Forest. Healthwatch is the independent consumer champion for local health and social care services and we can assist if you require further information on complaining, on your rights, or on health and social care services generally. Contact us on 020 3078 9990 or info@healthwatchwalthamforest.co.uk




Complaints guidance form